Even if you’re a longtime Mac user, there might be a few things you don’t know about setting up a refurbished MacBook. That’s because refurbished Macs come with certain specificities (e.g. keyboard configuration, reinstalling macOS) that are different in their second lives. This article will help you give your new friend the special love it needs during setup.
First, plug your Mac into the power adapter and turn it on.
If the first page displayed is the Language selection
Follow these steps to set up your MacBook to fit your preferences.
- Start by selecting your language. (If you're unable to select your language, reset your Mac's NVRAM as mentioned in this article.)
- Next, select your country and then "Continue".
- Select "Customize Settings" and choose your preferred language.
- Make sure the input source (the keyboard setup in your MacBook) corresponds to the one you have. If your keyboard is a US one, select "US", if it's a UK one, select "UK". (Tip: You'll know your keyboard is a US one if there is a "$" sign on the "4" key.) Otherwise, you can set up your keyboard language as "English - UK" and type as you normally would, just disregard the keys that look different. Use the heavy minus sign "➖" to remove the one(s) you don't use.
- Follow the instructions to continue setting up your MacBook. (i.e. Wi-Fi, iCloud account, Backup restoration, Screen Time, Siri, Touch ID, etc.)
- You can change your password or create a new user account in the "System Preferences" > "Users and Account".
- If you need more help, see this article from Apple — it may have more up-to-date info.
If the Language selection page is not displayed
Try pressing "Enter" on your keyboard. This might let you in. If not, the refurbisher should have provided you with a password. You may find it on a sticker next to the trackpad or on a document in your package.
If a password was provided
Great, just log in and go ahead and set up your keyboard language, using the the steps above
If a password wasn't provided
The seller may have forgotten to provide it. Just contact us and we'll get in touch with them. Log in to your Back Market account > "My orders" > "Ask for Help".
Next, make the following selections: "I have a problem with the item" > "The item has a technical issue" > "Setup/settings issues" > "Can't set up/pair device".
You should hear back from us within 1 business day.