Potential reasons why your payment was declined
Payment refusals are often generated by your bank or card issuer. You can find their phone number on the back of your credit or debit card — so give them a call if that seems to be the case. In the meantime, you can also try making the purchase with another card.
These are the most common reasons your payment was declined.
- The card is expired.
- The billing address has changed or doesn't match what’s on file with the bank or card issuer.
- You made an error while entering required info in "3-D Secure", a security feature that banks use to verify your identity. You may also have pop-ups disabled, and the 3-D Secure window didn’t appear.
- The card's transaction limit has been reached or exceeded.
- Your account doesn't have sufficient funds.
- The card has been blocked due to unusual activity (e.g. multiple denied transactions).
- You’re abroad and didn't alert your bank ahead of time so they blocked purchases from an "unusual" location.
- You're abroad and foreign currencies are not accepted by the card.
- Your card has been reported lost or stolen and you must now wait for a new card to arrive.
- Your card is not eligible to make online payments.
If the reason is still a mystery to you, keep an eye on your email. Back Market will email you with more information on why your order didn’t go through.
Troubleshoot a declined payment
- Update your payment information on Back Market to match the billing info on file with your bank or card issuer.
- Double-check the card number, expiration date, and name on the card.
- Double-check the CVV/CVC is a 3-digit code on the back of most payment cards (on an American Express card, it’s a 4-digit code on the front of the card). If you get a CVV/CVC error message, it's probably because it was entered incorrectly.
- Try disabling your pop-up blocker. Normally, 3-D Secure verification opens a new window that may be blocked by your computer. If the error continues, contact your bank for help.
- Try using another card or payment method such as PayPal. Almost all of our sellers offer PayPal as a payment method, but check to be sure.
- Try using another device or browser (Chrome, Safari, Edge, or Firefox)
- Disable your ad blocker.
- Contact your bank.
My payments keep getting blocked
If these troubleshooting steps don't work, then your Back Market account may have a temporary hold. Don’t worry, we’re here to help. Get in touch with the Customer Care team
Note that you'll need a photo of your government-issued ID (front and back) to verify your identity so we can help with your transaction.