If your payment was declined during checkout, here's how to fix it.
Choose a topic:
Why was my payment was declined?
Troubleshooting a declined payment
My payments keep getting blocked
Potential reasons why your payment was declined:
- The card is expired
- Billing address has changed or doesn't match what’s on file with the bank or card issuer
- Card has reached or exceeded its transaction limit
- Card is blocked or reported for unusual activity
- Insufficient funds on the card
- You’re abroad, or foreign currencies are not accepted on the card
If your payments were declined for any of these reasons, contact your bank or card issuer. You can easily find their phone number on the back of your credit or debit card.
Please note: You’ll also receive an email from Back Market letting you know why your order didn’t go through.
Here are some things you can do to troubleshoot a declined payment:
- Update your payment information on Back Market to match the billing info on file with your bank or card issuer
- Double-check the card number, CVC, expiration date, and name on the card
- Try using another card or payment method such as PayPal — just make sure that the seller has PayPal listed as an available payment method
- Try using another device or browser (Chrome, Safari, Edge, or Firefox) and disable your ad blocker
- Contact your bank
My payments keep getting blocked, even after troubleshooting
If the troubleshooting doesn’t work, and your payments are repeatedly declined, then your Back Market account may be on a temporary hold. Don’t worry, we’re here to help!
Get in touch with the Customer Care team
Note: Your safety, privacy, and peace of mind are important to us, which is why we’ve implemented an extra layer of protection during checkout.
Help us to verify your identity
Take a photo of your government-issued ID (front and back). We'll need this to verify your identity and help with your transaction. Complete the Back Market contact form here. Once all the fields have been completed, attach the picture of your ID to the bottom of the form and a Back Market representative will be in touch within 1 business day.
Understanding the risks of online shopping and card-not-present (CNP) transactions:
- When shopping at a store with your card, the verification process is easier
- The cashier checks your photo ID for credit, or the card reader takes your PIN for debit
- When shopping online, we have to make sure you are who you say you are
- If a payment system detects any sort of discrepancy or unusual activity, the payment is declined
If your payments are repeatedly declined, get in touch with our Customer Care team.
Need more help?
Feel free to get in touch with us here.