If the iPhone isn’t responding (black screen, screen not responding, bluetooth...), and you can’t turn it off and on, try forcing it to restart. It will not delete any data.
Note: The steps to force restart the iPhone depend on the model.
iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 12, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- Quickly press and release the Volume Up button
- Quickly press and release the Volume Down button
- Press and hold the side button until the Apple logo appears, and then release.
The screen will temporarily go black as the iPhone shuts down and reboots.
Keep holding the button until you see the Apple logo.
iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds.
- Keep holding both buttons for about 10 seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
iPhone 6/6 Plus/6s/6s Plus/5/5s/SE (1st Gen.)
- Press and hold the home button.
- Without releasing the home button, press and hold the on/off button.
- Press both buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds, until the Apple logo appears.