If people can’t hear you well on calls, or they hear you but say that you sound far away from the microphone, try these tips from our tech experts for a quick fix.
Test your microphones
For all devices
Clear any blockage from the microphone. Remove all accessories such as screen protectors and cases from your phone.
If you can’t be heard on calls
- Open the Voice Memos app.
- Click the record button (red dot) and try speaking into the bottom of your phone for a few seconds then stop recording.
- Play back the memo you just recorded – you should be able to hear your voice clearly.
If you can’t be heard when using the speakerphone
- Open your Camera app.
- Try recording a video and remember to speak at the top of your phone.
- Switch to another camera, then follow the same instructions as above.
- Play back the videos you just recorded – you should be able to hear your voice clearly.
If your mic is not working in specific apps
- Go to “Settings” > “Privacy” > “Microphone”.
- Check that the app is enabled – turn it on if it isn’t already on.
Clean your device
First, remove any screen protectors, films or cases from your iPhone.
For all devices
With a soft-bristled toothbrush: Dip the tip of the toothbrush bristles in rubbing alcohol for extra cleaning power. Carefully and gently clean the gunk out of your speakers.
With painter’s tape: Painter’s tape is a type of blue tape that’s used for painting walls and the like. It has pressure-sensitive adhesive, making it the best option for cleaning your speakers.
- Cut a small piece of tape and roll it into a cylinder shape with the sticky side on the outside – the diameter should be about as big as the width of your index finger.
- Slip it over your finger and then press it onto your device’s speaker to remove any gunk that may be stuck inside.
- Check the tape – if you see traces of lint or grime, roll another piece of tape and repeat the process.
Update your software to the latest version
- Back up your device with iCloud or on your computer
- Plug your device into a power source and make sure you’re connected to Wi-Fi.
- Go to “Settings” > “General” > “Software Update”.
- You may see two software updates – pick the one you want to install.
Restore factory settings from your Mac
First – be sure to back up your data! Then, follow these steps on your Mac:
- If you have a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, open the Finder app.
- If your Mac has macOS Mojave or earlier, or your device is a different PC, open the iTunes app.
- Connect your smartphone to your computer.
- If you see a pop-up message that asks for a passcode or says “Trust This Computer”, follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
- Select your smartphone when it shows on your computer or laptop.
- Select “Restore [device]” – if you’re still logged in to “Find my”, make sure that you sign out first.
- Select “Restore” once more to confirm.
- Your computer will erase your phone and install the latest version of iOS, iPadOS or iPod software.
- After your phone is restored to factory settings, it will automatically restart.
- Go to “Settings” > “System” > “System update”.
- You’ll be able to see your update status – follow the steps that appear on the screen.
If you’ve already opened a service request with us and your device needs to be returned for a repair, replacement or refund, follow these return instructions, using the return label you were provided with.